VanillaAfro.com Forum Index VanillaAfro.com
Where men are men and afros are afros

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Departed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lono

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: The Departed Reply with quote

Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson) to a ten year old version of Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon):

Costello: Do you get good grades in school?

Sullivan: Yeah...

Costello: So did I. That's called a "paradox."

Anyway, it was a good movie. It wasn't the instant classic that some critics are making it out to be (too many plot holes), but it's worth the price of admission.

-Paulie Walnuts
CK1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEPARTED SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE......

If this movie was 2.5 hours, the first 2:10 was incredibly good, and the final :20 sucked. I don't usually need everything neatly wrapped up for me, but this movie ended with too many questions. That and I knew Marky Mark (Dignam) would kill Damon (Sullivan) because I realized during Costigan's funeral that the scene in the trailor where Marky Mark fired the gun had not yet happened.
marky mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

are you talking shit on the funky bunch?
Common Courtesy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Thought? Reply with quote

How good is it when people don't use me when talking about a movie and tell you the ending without giving a "spoiler notice"
Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: comment Reply with quote

Well obviously CK1, being the true movie aficionado that he is, would have the common courtesy to put a spoiler notice above his post! I have seen the movie, but for all the millions of people that frequently view this amazing site, that was a very unrhawnhurst- like gesture by Mr. Kiefer. And one quick comment about the movie: I really enjoyed the movie, but I do agree with Chris that there were some unanswered questions. And I used to think that above all other actors, when Al Pacino was on the screen in any movie it was impossible to take your eyes off of him. But Jack Nicholson in The Departed is absolutely ridiculous and you get excited every time he has a line!
Lono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with you on Nicholson, Wolfie... nobody plays a better villain than him. From that first scene when he walks into the corner store, you can't get enough of him.

Pacino, on the other hand, is hit-or-miss these days. He's typically the same actor: loud, cocksure, grating, and obnoxious. Sometimes it's perfect for the role ("Heat," "The Devil's Advocate") and sometimes it can be downright nauseating ("Any Given Sunday," "Two For the Money"). In truth, probably my favorite Pacino performance of the past few years was when he was a bit scaled-down from his usual self in "The Insider."

And since we're talking about good movie villains, Daniel Day Lewis as Bill the Butcher in "Gangs of New York" is REALLY good.

-Paulie Walnuts
fat jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

I'd make a good villain. The count has an evil side
tqatsju
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: French Reply with quote

French: What are you having?
William Costigan: Cranberry juice
French: What do you have your period?

BTW....French is the most underrated actor in the movie...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%, Quinny.

Frank Costello: French, you're one in a million.

French: TEN million. I'm one in TEN million.

-Paulie Walnuts
Spoiler Notice & Cour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with you all? here we are, right there in CK1's post, and you all are acting as though we are not. Anyway, Nicholson is good, but I think that he sometimes thinks he is still playing the Joker. I thought Alec Baldwin was better in his supporting role than was Marky Mark.
CK1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the fact that Nicholson played Costello too similar to the way he played the joker, he was great as always.

Lono is right, Daniel Day Lewis was one of the best villains in movie history in GONY. He blew Leo right off the screen. I have been on record as saying Matt Damon and Edward Norton are so far superior to other young white actors like Leo, Ben Afleck, Johnny Depp and such. However, Leo blew Matt Damon off the screen in this one. He was terrific, and Damon was a bit vanilla.
Matt Damon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote

Does this mean that I'm going to get a bad review in the News Gleaner's movie spotlight, Gleaner movie screener
CK1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll cut you some slack on this one, Mr. Damon, as a bad review from a distinguished write such as myself would leave your career in shambles.
Lono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really write for the Gleaner?

-Paulie Walnuts
CK1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm the next Bill Lyons.
CK1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading my previous post, it sounds sarcastic. Yeah, I write a little bit of sports for them. What they pay me almost covers the gas it takes to get to the games, but I like doing it and it's good experience. I have an article in the current edition.
Bill Lyon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Get it straight... Reply with quote

Dear CK1,

It's Bill "Lyon," not "Lyons."

Son, if you EVER disrespect me again, I'll bounce you so far down the food chain that you'll be covering Golden Tee Golf tournaments for the bar and club section of the Northeast Times.

Welcome to the big leagues, rookie.

Yours in malignance,

Mr. Lyon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VanillaAfro.com Forum Index -> movie quotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum