VanillaAfro.com Forum Index VanillaAfro.com
Where men are men and afros are afros

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wire vs. The Sopranos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A struggle for Christopher's soul between Sgt. Barnes and Sgt. Elias, with Elias being left out in the field being symbolic of the dying of Chris's good side. Similar situation here, with Michael considering staying with Cutty, and then deciding to bail.

It's easy to forget that Cutty was once a cold-blooded murderer himself. Him telling Michael to "go with his people" came from a wealth of personal experience on the streets. Can you imagine what might have happened to Michael had he shown too much empathy towards Cutty? Cutty knows what would have happened...

Quote:
I don't really know what to make of this, but wasn't the scene with Michael running through the abandoned building eerily similar to Stringer being chased last season. Since it was only practice anyway, there is probably nothing to it, but it just seemed like it was intentionally reminiscent.

I didn't make that connection, and I have to say that it's somewhat fascinating to think about. With Stringer, it was that his tactics had finally caught up to him in the form of Omar and Mouzone. He was trapped. In this context we have yet another malevolent duo (Snoop and Chris) and a Michael that is becoming something quite different than what we came to know him as during the first 11 episodes. Isn't this the trap that we all figured he'd eventually fall into? He's part of it now, and like Stringer, he's not likely to ever get out of it. Great catch on that one...

-Paulie Walnuts
CK1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, your interpretation was kind of what I was thinking. I wasn't sure though, because you could say that the writers are trying to liken Michael to Avon, Marlo, or even Chris, but not really Stringer. Still, I think the scene was drawing the parellel that you mentioned.

Let me ask you something else. I may be dense, so forgive me. Was Randy's foster mother harmed or killed in the fire? Are we to assume that she was, or that she was not? Do we not know for sure?
Lono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Carver walked into the hospital, he looked at the dry-erase board that had all of the patient's names on it. Miss Anna was listed in critical, but stable condition.

It looks like my prediction for Randy is coming true... He's going to be deprived of the one stable home situation that he's ever had.

-Paulie Walnuts
CK1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lono, what did you think of the finale?

Spoilers

Everyone I have talked to thinks it was Michael who killed Bodie, but that it incorrect. Anyway, The Wire typically wraps things up at the end of a season more than The Sopranos does. Like it or not, we have closure on the stories of all the kids, for now. As for the rest of the plots, it seems like the writers set the table more for next season. I was curious about what you think. I thought I was right about Bubs for a second there. While I never cared much about Randy's storyline, the scenes with him and Carver in the finale are the scenes I will find most memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIi0dzmvpE

Here is a "funny" scene from The Wire. I thought you'd get a kick out of it. The croud loved it, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/08/tv.thewire.bubbles.ap/index.html

The real "bubs"
Lono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very strong season. Extremely strong.

It's funny what you said about being wrong on Bubs, because I sort of have the impression now that you were right. Season after season, he's been the eternal optimist, the wise sage of the streets. But at the end of this season he is reduced to a shell of his former impervious self. Very sad.

I liked the thing with Carver and Randy... Carver in the car afterwards was one of the more emotional moments of the entire series. I think we can all relate to what he must have been feeling... that there are moments of personal guilt we have that are just too big and too fucked up to fight. So what do we do? We pointlessly punch the steering wheel or internalize the pain. Kima was the same way at the hospital with Bubs.

One thing I didn't like so much was how Colvin adopted Namond. It just seemed corny and impractical to me. What did you think?

The kids' storylines are wrapped-up, but I wonder if we'll be seeing any of them in season five? The anonymous picture of Michael on Freamon's bulletin board points to YES, but who really knows? I wonder if their storyline will be isolated, much like the the dock workers of season two. Coincidentally, it was nice to see Spiros the Greek drop in for a cameo.

And about Michael not shooting Bodie... you're 100% right.

Anyway, I bought season one at Best Buy and have watched the first few episodes over again. Good stuff...

-Paulie Walnuts
CK1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately agree about Colvin and Namond, that was cliche and definately corny. If that happened AND Carver adopted Randy, that would have been a disaster for the show.

I do think I was right about Bubs in that he is now in his most hopeless state. I was just wrong in that I thought he'd be checking out by the end of the season.

I've never thought the actor who plays Carver was anything great in particular - He was also on OZ - but that scene with him leaving the group home and getting into his car was great stuff. Even the kid who played Randy did a great job. He just looked numb, or hardened to reality. How's that for irony - The only reason the kid opens his mouth in the first place is because he so desperately doesn't want to be taken out of his foster home, and it's because he opens his mouth that precisely that happens.

I meant the kids story lines are wrapped up in that we have closure to their stories for this season. I don't think we've seen the last of them, except maybe for Randy. We'll see, hopefully next September, but I'm not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VanillaAfro.com Forum Index -> movie quotes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum